Wednesday 31 December 2014

Resolutions :


I'm not usually one for the 'New Year, New Me' type proclamations. I've always been under the impression the first day of a new year is in fact, just another day and if you're supposedly that desperate to change your life, why wait until the year is up? It's a continuous cycle of hypocrisy. One minute everybody is all for living in the moment, not waiting for tomorrow because you never know sort-of-thing. The next everybody has compiled a list of things they're going to change in their lives, or things they're going to become as soon as it's New Year. Seems sort of daft to me. The one thing I think about every New Year's Eve, is that time really does fly, so I suppose everyone's reasoning for their resolutions is to try and make the most of the new calender year. Which is what I've tried to do this year... (I think this post has become a ramble - bear with me.)

Last year I decided to become a vegetarian and stuck it out for a whole six months, until I realised that me not eating meat wasn't going to change the meat industry on any level. Also, that for me to starve myself of food I enjoyed and is so readily available to me was selfish, when others are so less fortunate. This year I've actually written a full blown list. It would be easy to be vague and jot things down such as 'Travel more.' 'Learn a new language.' 'Eat healthily.' So instead I've tried to be a little realistic and just think of things that I've always wanted to remind myself of.

1. Make the most out of my final year at uni : 
I have the lesser half of a year left and while that tends to throw me into complete stress-mode, I'm actually enjoying my fourth year. So far I've achieved a First - creating a publication that I'm immensely proud of - and at the moment I'm in the midst of writing my case study on unpaid fashion internships. 
I'm going to be so sad to leave Huddersfield but I've had the best time at university and I really feel like I'm ready for the next step in life - whatever that may be...

2. Find some sort of creative outlet and stick to it! : 
There are never enough hours in the day and I never feel like I have time to just sit down and do something I used to love doing, like drawing, or writing or reading. I started this blog in one of many attempts to be a bit creative alongside writing essays and working in excel. And do you know what? I never thought I'd enjoy it as much as I do. So I'm going to try and make 2015 the year I actually do things with my spare time.

3. Keep my hair short and stop washing it : 
Bit of a weird one really. No I'm not growing dreadlocks. I just wash my hair every single day because... Well I don't even know why. So that needs to stop before my entire head of hair falls out.

4. Do what makes me happy : 
Ugh cheese or what. I feel like I spend a lot of my time running round after other people and accommodating their happiness, because I don't like for other people to have a hard time. But there's times when I just want to be selfish and say no to people. But saying no always makes me feel so guilty... It's a work in progress.

5. Keep a diary : 
My mum bought me this beautiful gold coated leather diary from Zara Home for Christmas and I'm determined to actually write in it. I struggle sleeping sometimes because I always have so many thoughts and ideas running round my head that just need writing down!

Ok, that's all folks. I hope you enjoyed my very typical list of resolutions. Have a fantastical New Year's Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment